Which harmonica should you buy?
If this is your first harmonica buy:
- 10-hole diatonic
- Hohner
- Marine Band Special 20
- Key of C followed by (in order of usefulness): A, D, G, F, Bb, Ab, E
- I rarely use these but have them just in case: B, Eb, Db, F#
- A and D are most useful for blues and rock
- Except, if you are buying a harmonica for a child, get the Suzuki Airwave
If you only get two harmonica keys, get C and A
If you only get three harmonica keys, get C, A, and D
If you only get four keys get C, A, D, and G
Why these keys?
Songs in each key:
Key of C harmonica
- This is supposed to be the easiest harmonica to learn on
- Many songs are written in the key of C
- Long Train Runnin' - Doobie Brothers
- Run Around - Blues Traveler
- Piano Man - Billy Joel
- Stormy Monday - Allman Brothers
- Love Me Do - Beatles
- Low Rider - War
Key of A harmonica
- Roadhouse Blues - The Doors
- Bring It On Home - Led Zeppelin/Sonny Boy Williamson II
- What I Like About You - The Romantics
- Train, Train - Blackfoot (the intro is on a G harp)
- On the Road Again - Canned Heat (country tuned)
- Whammer Jammer - J. Geils Band
- Got My Mojo Workin' - Muddy Waters
- Not Fade Away - Rolling Stones (A and D harps are used)
- Pride and Joy - Stevie Ray Vaughan
Key of D harmonica
- Blowin' in the Wind - Bob Dylan
- Mr. Tambourine Man - Bob Dylan
- Born in Chicago - Paul Butterfield
- Hook - Blues Traveler
- Miss You - The Rolling Stones
- Mannish Boy - Muddy Waters
- The Wizard - Black Sabbath
- Going Down - Freddie King
- Catch the Wind - Donovan
- Whiskey Man - Molly Hatchet
- School - Supertramp
Key of G harmonica
- Heart of Gold - Neil Young
- The Times They are a-Changin' - Bob Dylan
- Going Down - Freddie King
- Smokin in the Boys Room - Brownsville Station
Key of F harmonica
- Take the Long Way Home - Supertramp
- If You Want to Get to Heaven - Ozark Mountain Daredevils
- Sharp Dressed Man - ZZ Top
Key of Bb harmonica
- Help Me - Sonny Boy Williamson II
- The Work Song - Paul Butterfield
Key of Ab harmonica
- Boogie On Reggae Woman - Stevie Wonder
- Roadhouse Blues - Some bands like to tune down to make it easier for the singer. So any song in E would use an Ab harmonica.
Key of Eb harmonica
- Catch the Wind - Donovan
- Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Key of F#
- Moon River (Recommend a low F sharp for this or switch to a melody maker tuning)
- Orange Blossom Special - Charlie McCoy (Vamp on A and E)
Consider a few things. First of all is the general type. There are two main types: Diatonic and Chromatic. You probably want to get a diatonic harmonica unless you are mostly interested in playing classical music. If you are interested in playing blues, you should get a diatonic harmonica.
Next, consider the brand. Some of the current popular brands are:
Hohner, Lee Oskar, Seydel, Suzuki, JDR, Easttop, Kongsheng
Brands I don't like: Hohner (I've blown out too many reeds on these), Kongsheng (Blew a reed after only a couple weeks of playing), I'm not very fond of the Easttop harmonica I bought. It sounds tinny.
Brands I like: Suzuki, Seydel, JDR
My go-to harp is currently Suzuki Bluesmaster, but I may switch to Seydel Session Steel.
My travel harp is the JDR Blues Shifter, in other words, if I only get one harmonica, I'm going to bring the Blues Shifter because I can play the most songs on it.
Alternate tunings:
Natural Minor
Harmonic Minor
Paddy Tuned
Country Tuned
Melody Maker
No comments:
Post a Comment